Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Can you say yum?

Motivator: Laurel at SimpleSpoonful, with her flair for food and her "Darn Good Hummus" recipe.

Insider knowledge: Native Seeds lady at the farmers market, offering up her knowledge about the nutritious benefits native tepary beans.

The goods: 1 lb bag of native blue speckled tepary beans. Small, creamy brown and tan with a hint of blue.

Inspiration: Mangochild's dedication to all things local.

Final Results: Delicious tepary bean hummus!

Sorry, if I give you the recipe I will have to kill you. No, actually I know the ingredients, but I have no clue how much of each I put in here. So, if you would like to try this out on your own, here's an estimate. Also, Laurel has worked quite hard to perfect her recipe, so paying her a visit would probably be a very good bet!

Ingredients:
-Native Tepary Beans (1.5 cups cooked?)
-1 clove garlic, pressed
-2 TBS Tahini
-1 Tsp Cumin
-Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
-A small amount of milk or water to get to the right consistency.

Blend together in a blender or preferably a food processor.

Eat. Enjoy. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. Blue-speckled?!?!?!

    Major yum.

    I wish I could say that my "recipe" is perfected, but it just works. Part of the reason it works, though, is that I don't always stick to the recipe...sometimes you get a strong batch of cumin or a really juicy lemon. It's about rolling with that and correcting. :) The proportions in my recipe are a good start, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.k...almost perfect ;)

    And yes, Blue-speckled! Isn't that great!?

    ReplyDelete