Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bats and more bats

A few days ago I took my camera to the Campbell Avenue bridge, where the bats hang out. I wanted to see if I could get something other than a blur (i.e. my old camera) to show up. It was fun to experiment with the settings and I think I learned some things about shooting in low light. There were some other photographers there too, and I learned that a different lens would help me tremendously. Nonetheless, I snapped a few good shots. Here is one of the stream of bats flying from the bridge to get their dinner...moths, moths, moths (and maybe some mosquitoes)!
Stream of bats

5 comments:

  1. WOW! that is crazy. Like a cloud.
    very cool shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vanessa. It is really crazy and very cool. Standing under them and having them fly around you is the neatest experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome, Kim. I don't think I was aware that bats fly together in large formations across the sky like that. I've more seen them in singular flight here in the woods. Thank you for sharing that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture! I've seen huge flocks of blackbirds in flight at some wildlife refuges that have that same big wispy smoke-like look, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great. We have one small bat or two, who fly around our back door from spring to autumn, I always love to see them. Otherwise I've seen starlings in clouds like that, it's amazing, the flock seems to take on a single consciousness of its own and become another entity...

    Good to get together with other photographers who can give you advice too.

    ReplyDelete